Getting MOT testing done is important if you are a vehicle owner. According to the regulations set by the Government of the UK, MOT testing in Sutton are mandatory for cars that are three years or over. Once you pass the test, you can prove that your vehicle is roadworthy.
MOT TESTING: EVERYTHING TO KNOW
Key Facts About the MOT Test
If you are the proud owner of a car that is three years old, you should get the MOT testing done to meet road safety and environmental standards. MOT is referred to as the Ministry of Transport Test. You can get them done at the authorise test centre. The technicians will conduct diagnostic testing of the car to approve a successful MOT Test.
How Long Does the MOT test take?
On average, MOT testing takes somewhere between 45 and 60 minutes. However, you should take a few other factors into consideration.
Firstly, if the vehicle fails the test, it will have to undertake repairs and thorough inspection.
A test centre isn’t allowed to let you drive away a car that has failed an MOT until the problems are fixed, unless your existing MOT certificate is still valid, or you’re taking the car to have the faults fixed.
Second, the test might take an hour or less, but even if there aren’t any repairs, this doesn’t mean your vehicle will only have to be at the garage for 60 minutes.
An MOT test centre will prevent you from driving away the car after failing the test. However, there are a few exceptions in this regard –
- If you have an existing valid MOT certificate
- If you are taking the car to another garage to get it serviced and repaired
The Result of the MOT Test
At the MOT test result, your car will either pass or fail. If the car fails the test, the mechanic will provide you with a list of things for repair. If the car passes the test, you will get the MOT certificate, and the data will be recorded in the National MOT database.
Reasons Why Cars Fail in the MOT Test
Almost two among the five cars fail in an MOT test due to the following reasons-
- Due to a problem with the registration plate
- If the screen is not washed and topped up
- If the car is full of rubbish and dirty matter inside
- If stickers or other decorations are blocking the driver’s view
- If there is a lit-up warning light on the dashboard
Pre-MOT Checks for the Car Owner
- Keep the car clean, inside and out. Also, clean the boot
- Clean the number plates so that it is readable to all
- Check windscreen wipers
- Check if all the lights are in a working order
- Check the tyre tread
- Check the wheel and its alignment
- Top up all the car engine fluids
- Check the mirrors and adjust their positioning
- Ensure that the Vehicle Identification Number is intact.
- The car bodywork should be perfect without dents or scratches
At Nork Motor Engineering, we provide complete car diagnosis and inspection. Visit the website to know more.